Thursday, July 28, 2005

Things Taste Worse As You Get Older

Last Friday my husband and I went over to our friends' house in Playa Del Rey for dinner. They made this amazing vegetable lasagne (from Cooks Illustrated) and some turkey sausage stuffed bell peppers. While the peppers were in the process of being cooked I had mentioned that my mom used to make our family stuffed green bell peppers all the time (with ground beef, rice, onions, and miscellaneous seasonings). I used to love those darn peppers! I would slather them with a combination of ketchup and A.1. steak sauce.

In discussing these bell peppers, I had mentioned that there were a few dishes that I grew up eating that I just don't like anymore. Within the past 18 months I have made my mom's stuffed bell peppers, and even the famous tuna noodle casserole that I devoured as a child - and I just can't stand them anymore! They're soo bland. Lifeless. I need SPICE! Plus, I don't even enjoy the texture of these dishes anymore.

It makes me wonder if I would still enjoy some of the quick-fix canned or frozen foods that I would divulge in at times, like Chef Boyardee ravioli, SpaghettiO's with meat sauce, pizza rolls (they HAVE to be Totino's) , Bagel Bites. Okay, maybe I can't eat SpaghettiO's anymore.

Am I the only one who feels like this? Probably not.

I'm sure that my joy in eating and cooking good food, dining out at good non-chain food restaurants (soo many to choose from in the L.A. area), and my overall being a "foodie" has aided in my not enjoying my childhood cravings now.

Speaking of foodie, there is apparently this great new magazine called Chow that' s geared for the 30-something who enjoys fine dining and cooking shows, but who may lack many of the skills necessary to cook the things that they really like. I read about this magazine once in one of my many advertising newsletters, though I haven't seen it yet.

2 comments:

  1. It could be just plain old adaptation: as a child, you get "imprinted" with what your parents give you to eat -- after all, if they've survived long enough to reproduce and ensure your survival, their diet has to be good for you -- and thus you're "programmed" to like what you're served as a child. When you get older, that "imprint" fades as you're progressively more likely to have reproduced. It may even be more reproductively advantageous to crave new tastes as one ages to ensure against starvation should the old food source disappear -- and by the time you're 30+, with a 15 year old offspring already capable of reproducing, the advantage is that should a new food prove to be poisenous you're not only dispensable, but by discovering what _not_ to eat, you're also helping your offsprings not repeat the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was thinking it was just way more simpler than that. ;)

    You can always count on Tiago to take it to another level. What kind of level, is up to you, dear reader.

    ReplyDelete