Tuesday, June 29, 2004

N-N-N-Nashville

Well, I survived my first trip to Nashville. I was there from Thursday, June 24th through Sunday, June 27th. I thought I was being sly by taking the red eye on Wednesday night so that I would have all day Thursday to gallivant around Downtown Nashville.

After 8+ hours of work on Wednesday and 8+ hours of airports and airplanes that evening without ample sleep, my sleepy-head crashed for about 2 1/2 hours at 10:00 a.m. CDT (8:00 a.m. PDT my body's time). Oh...did I mention that my room at the Doubletree Downtown Nashville was just the DIRTIEST EVER????!!!!!! (Oh, and they put me in a handicap double room, they somehow "misplaced" the King room I reserved.) There were blood smatterings on the outside shower curtain, leftover splatters of something nasty inside the trash can, and some hootchie's makeup wiped on "clean" towel folded neatly over the towel bar. Just disgusting. Of course, I didn't notice any of that until after my nap.

Luckily I was able to move into a room that had a BIG CHUNK of the bathroom counter missing. Goodness. Needless to say I was looking forward to my hotel stay in the Franklin, TN suburbs where my seminar was at. That hotel was WONDERFUL; it was the Franklin Cool Springs Marriott.

Aside from seeing lots of fireflies while I was "lost" in Belle Meade (near Vanderbilt), Nashville was pretty uneventful. Though I'll bet it didn't help that I was there to attend a Leadership Institute for my fraternity (I'm the chapter president of my local alumnae group).

I and a bunch of old college buddies did manage to skip out of the evening's events on Saturday. We headed out to the Grand Ole Opry to see Vince Gill open up the late night line-up of a bunch of people we've never heard of. Were any of us really country music fans? No, but we had a great time.

Other tidbits:

-The people there drive slow

-The people there move slow (especially restaurant and hotel service)

-I was "blessed" with getting a rental car with New York plates (I think that made me a moving target)

-I never got a chance to have real Southern food that wasn't mass-produced poorly for the seminar's meals

-When there's a flash flood/thunderstorm, you DO NOT want to be on any of their Interstates; that was just nutty



It's so good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, they do still have those cookies!!! Actually I think the cookie and the Doubletree Cookie Cheesecake were the only good things about my visit there.

    I can't say that I had the best time in Nashville, considering that I didn't have a whole heck of a lot of time to myself. I would like to go back for leisure purposes and check out the area around Vanderbilt. Not to mention I'd like more time to check out the Belle Meade Plantation, and spend some time driving out to Graceland.

    ReplyDelete