Thursday, August 18, 2005

MMmmmmm...Cookies...

I wish it wasn't so late in the evening right now and that I have butter, because I feel like baking cookies!

So, instead I'll just post one of my favorite recipes (they're my husband's favorite too).

Brown Sugar Shortbread
Makes 2 1/2 Dozen
By Mrs. Fields

Shortbread Ingredients:
1 C. salted butter, softened (my favorite is Plugra)
3/4 C. Light Brown Sugar, Packed
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 C. All-Purpose flour (I use Gold Medal)

Topping Ingredients:
1 tbsp. salted butter
1 C. (6 0z.) semisweet chocolate chips (my favorite is Guittard)
1 C. (4 Oz.) pecans, finely chopped (sometimes I do walnuts, or a mixture of walnuts and pecans)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325-degrees Fahrenheit.
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed. Scrape down sides of bowl. Then add vanilla and flour, and blend thoroughly on low speed.
  • Shape level tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls, then form into logs 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. Place on ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
  • Bake for 17-19 minutes or until cookies spread and turn a light golden brown. Transfer to a cool flat surface.
  • To make topping: Melt butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler* over hot (not boiling) water or in a microwave oven on High power. Stir chocolate every 30 seconds until melted.
  • Dip top of each rolled shortbread cookie into melted chocolate, then into chopped pecans. Place cookies on waxed paper and refrigerate to set.

--For storing these cookies, I recommend placing them into an airtight container, using waxed paper to separate single layers of cookies.

*Alternate for double boiler: in a medium saucepan place 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water into the pan and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, sit a medium metal (not glass) bowl on top of the saucepan rim (water should NOT be touching the metal bowl). Place butter and chocolate ships into the bowl and stir with a metal spoon or whisk until fully melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment